Because of the safety risk involved, most electrical work is best left to the professionals. However, you may be able to diagnose electrical issues before the electrician arrives.
When the “test” button is pressed on your GFCI receptacle, it is turned off. The “reset” button will turn it back on and restore power. Just press the “red” or just have the word “reset” button to reset the outlet and bring back power.
Electrical outlet doesn’t work: First, check the circuit breaker. If no breakers are tripped and the outage is confined to one outlet, the outlet may have burned out. If an outlet shows any sign of blackening around the outlet plugs, do not use it. Even if one plug is working, you should replace the entire outlet immediately to avoid the possibility of starting an electrical fire.
Electrical outlets spark: While it can be scary when you see a spark fly from an outlet, sometimes it’s normal. For example, when power is suddenly diverted to an appliance, a quick draw on the available power will occur, causing a brief spark. Once the electrons are flowing freely, a spark should have no reason to form. This is normal, and it’s comparable to static electricity.
If too much heat builds up in an outlet, however, it can actually melt the insulation that surrounds the wires. As the wires become exposed, the chance for an electrical fire increases. When a connection is made, the electrons can leap to the wrong area and cause a serious spark. This is known as a short circuit and can actually cause an electrical fire.
Exposure to water can also cause an outlet to spark and short out. Installation of a special outlet known as a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) will shut down the circuit if it comes into contact with moisture. GFCI outlets are installed where water is close, such as in bathrooms, kitchens, etc. Contact A. Fuller Electric, Inc. for prices and rates to install or repair these outlet outages.